Saturday, January 19, 2008

Week 1-2: 7 and 1/2 Learning Habits

This has been an interesting experience. This is my third try at creating this blog. I thought I had created my first one, only to find that I hadn't checked the availablity of the address, and someone else's blog came up. So then I tried several different names and they were all taken. At that point I gave up and decided to try another day. So now I went through and started again only to find I hadn't save it right. So here I am finally starting.

I found as I started this project that I kept putting it off. I like to read about it first or have someone else demonstrate before I start. When we finally got together as I group at my school I felt so much better. What does that say about learning? It is a highly social experience.

I loved that the course started with looking at the 71/2 habits of learners. I agree with all of them. I tried to practice many of them. Learning is definitely about cultivating an attitude and accepting responsibility for your own learning. Being confident is so important. Developing your own toolbox of options that work for you is something I try to get kids to do. Seeing problems as a challenge is so important. I just read this is a book which I love. If you continue to make old mistakes you haven't learned. Making no mistakes means you aren't learning anything new, you are just coasting on what you already know. The challenge is to make new mistakes because that is how you learn. It really is true. I can see that from just this blog. Now I really know how to set one up. It has been a challenge though. I always try to teach and mentor others to give them confidence. Probably the areas I am weakest in are: using technology to my advantage, and playing with technology. I don't really experiment. I would rather someone show me something new, and then I almost immediately see what I can do with it. I am not a real hands on learner so this course will be a new challenge and hopefully extend my learning in technology.

ssn

1 comment:

emeraldgreen said...

Your blog looks great. You have done a lot of thinking about your learning style, but you have definitely been successful as an independent, reflective learner.