Saturday, April 5, 2008

#20 Week 8 YouTube

I was unable to access YouTube from my home computer, and was blocked at school. However, this is one area I have had some experience with, and have seen the potential. Students love video, and if done correctly making a video and posting it on YouTube could be a worthwhile experience. But it would need to be structured well, and have assessments and rubrics along the way as a class.
There is an issue that I am reading and hearing about a lot lately, and I think it's time that schools address the issue. I am also a member of our school's Tech Vertical Team, and I do think this issue will be brought up. Cell phones are everywhere, and what happens when students take a picture or create a video from things that happen in a class, and then post it on YouTube. Do schools have policies in place? What if someone posts a class video that might put others at risk? What are the guidelines, and how do we make sure that both students and staff members understand them.
There is a great new book called "Digital Citizenry" by Mike Ribble that deals with all of these issues. Whose responsibility is it to teach these ideas? I am planning to develop a curriculum this summer for students in Grades 6 and 7 in my school as I feel the issue is important. Students love video, and at the age of my students many believe everything they see. I have students in Grades 3-7. It's an important issue, and one I feel we all probably need to pay attention to.
ssn

No comments: